May the love of the Lord Jesus draw us to himself.
May the power of the Lord Jesus strengthen us in his service.
May the joy of the Lord Jesus fill our souls.
May the blessing of God Almighty, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit be among us and remain always with us.
I then reflected on these words about the love of Jesus:
The love of Jesus:
- motivated his incarnation- his entrance into the world as the God/man leaving the glory of heaven behind
- motivated his sinless life- always doing and speaking what his Father desired
- made him obedient to death on the cross as a sacrifice or redemption for our sins (this is what we normally think about as Christians). He yielded to his Father's plan of having our sin placed upon himself and then experiencing the wages of sin - death.
- revealed his resurrected body to disciples which demonstrated his power over death and sin and Satan
- brought him back to his Father in heaven receiving his glory in which 1) he then asked the Father for the Holy Spirit and he poured out his Spirit upon us, and in which 2) he continues to intercede to the Father on behalf of us.
Amazing love, how can it be!
The love of Jesus denies one's own desires, if not rights, for the sake of others. In his love Jesus
- gave up his glory to enter into this world of rebellion and sin
- gave up his desires to obey his Father's desire
- gave up his life so that we/others could live
- gave up any desire to be bitter and resentful; his disciples deserted him, the world killed him, yet he returned and even reinstated Peter who denied knowing him
- gave up any desire to keep the Holy Spirit for himself and poured it out on his followers, imperfect as they are
Amazing love, how can it be!!